As with any habit, the main ingredient is time, with patience as a close second. You'll need to give yourself time and a heaping dose of patience as you establish this new habit.
Here are the steps to take:
1. Grab your calendar.
2. Mark the date 8 weeks from today. By this date, it's likely that you will be hooked on exercise.
3. Plan 10 minutes of exercise for tomorrow & the following 4 days. Use Sworkit (a great app that tells you what exercises to do), YouTube, Pinterest or a Google Search for exercise ideas. Go for a walk or run. Dance. Run up and down stairs. It doesn't have to be intense. But DO IT, NO MATTER WHAT. It's non-negotiable.
4. Plan 10 minutes of exercise TWO TIMES A DAY for the following 5 days.
5. For the following 5 days, do 10 minutes of exercise three times a day.
6. You're now 15 days into this new habit! Congrats!
7. Now it's time to increase your intensity. Choose something different to do. Look for High Intensity Interval Training or HIIT when you're searching. Continue getting 30 minutes of exercise per day for the next two weeks. They don't all have to be intense. Some days, take three 10-minute walks or do some stretching at your desk or before bed.
8. This is a great place to stay. If you can stay here, you have surpassed the government's recommendation for daily activity. Continue on like this! You have likely started to to reap the rewards of consistent exercise (sleeping better, more energy, clothes a little looser!). Way to go!
9. For even more benefits, now it's time to increase the amount of time you spend exercising. Go for longer than 10 minutes at a time. Incorporate strength training into your routine. Do cardio a couple of days a week, strength train a couple of days, and make sure you're getting some good stretching in.
10. If you don't already have a trainer or take classes, this is the time to consider it! You're ready! Ever wanted to try Zumba? Achieve total peace with Yoga? Give it a try!